Pain is subjective. Different individuals react differently to pain. Different people have different pain threshold as well but one thing is for sure and that is living with chronic pain is a burden. Distraction sometimes works but the pain can get too intense and you end seeking relief in the form of pain medications. Numerous analgesics are available over the counter. However, if you are suffering from chronic intense pain and over the counter analgesic isn’t going to be enough.
When the pain gets too much, some people turn to prescription pain medications such as opioids. Opioids are supposed to be used only when needed. Unfortunately, some people get dependent on opioids and they end up abusing it. Opioid addiction is something that should be prevented. This is the reason why some are turning to natural forms of pain relief such as CBD oil.
Is CBD oil better than Opioid?
- CBD does not cause respiratory depression. Opioids are known to cause respiratory depression when taken in extremely high doses. This is because opioids attach to certain opioid receptors in the brain like mu receptors, that causes respiratory depression when activated.
- CBD is known to help heal the body. In that way, CBD also helps address the root cause of pain. CBD oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the pain caused by inflammation.
- CBD is not an opioid hence it will not affect the body the same way opiates do. This reduces the risk of dependence or addiction.
- There is no known drug interaction between benzodiazepines and CBD. The opiate and benzodiazepine combo are known to have disastrous results. This does not happen with CBD.
- Studies have also shown that CBD helps with bone growth. This can be extremely beneficial for patients with fractures who are constantly in pain.
- CBD has a large therapeutic window allowing patients the flexibility to take it at smaller doses at a longer duration.
Opioids are extremely effective but often times the risks that come with its use usually outweigh its benefits.